Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 234: The Unprodigal

What is it about Sundays that are just great? I'm sure God has a big part to play in that. Choir was a blessing as always, but today was especially different. My choir family group went into the city, specifically the Art Gallery of New South Wales, where we went to see this exhibit called Paths of Abstraction. This exhibit showcased the evolution of abstract painting, which is the style of painting that doesn't necessarily have a theme other than invoking emotions through colors and patterns. I can now proudly say I've stood in front of paintings done by legends like Pablo Picasso and Claude Monet! There was another exhibit called the Victorian Vision, where it was all super detailed and realistic painting from the Victorian era. It's amazing how many Biblically themed paintings there were in this place; there were painting of Adam and Eve, Jesus' Crucifixion, Ezekiel's vision of the dry bones, and even one called "The Spirit of Christianity". They were simply amazing; I'm looking forward to the next time I can go to an art gallery. After that whole trip that took most of the afternoon, I went with Donny to Sunday Night Live, where the one and only Robert Fergusson gave an absolutely mind-blowing message taking a different perspective on the story of the prodigal son. He spoke on how prodigal has two different meanings: one being wasteful with spending money, and the other being recklessly extravagant. The son was wasteful with his money, but the father was extravagant with grace for his son. It's the same with us and God. We can be so comfortable with our regular lives, wasting away precious time with God, but regardless He waits for us to come back to Him. Seriously, Robert Fergusson is an absolute legend; if I could ever speak even a tiny bit like him, that'd be so cool. Afterwards, I chilled with Donny and watched Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (epic movie, especially with Mr. T. in the mix). Now I have a couple minor things to take care of, so if you'll excuse me...

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment