Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 176: More Than My Own

I've spent the past few minutes of this day thinking about strength. I looked up definitions of strength in my trusty Macbook dictionary, and I found 2 different definitions of strength. One is physical, where it says strength is "A state of being strong, or having physical power and energy." The mindset of today's men think of strength as something you work on for work and/or appearance. Guys go to the gym or work out on their own time to build up their physical strength because they want to be strong and fit. They want to have enough muscle to be all-purpose strong guys, basically. I see guys here at college that go to the gym up to 3 and even 4 times a week, investing up to 2 hours into working out to reach their intended goals. My flatmates will either go to the gym, take a run around the area, swim, or even just do the simple exercises here in the flat. Being in a college like this kind of demands a building of strength (because to put it straight, there are very few things in Hillsong church that are easy to carry). However, the other definition of strength caught my attention: "The emotional or mental qualities necessary in dealing with situations or events that are distressing or difficult." Think about it. Even the Apple dictionary acknowledges that strength is more than our physical capacity, it's also a component to our inner capacity. We don't just exercise our bodies; we exercise our minds, heart, and spirit. And what better way to exercise inner strength than being with God? He's our Creator. He's the guy we look to for every question and request we have. I've been trying to exercise my spiritual self, but lately it's been hard to find some time alone to work on it. I can talk with God for brief moments throughout the day, which for me is good, but at the same time I can't help but feel guilty that I can't get as much time as I would like. Today, for example, pretty much the entire day was working until the late afternoon, and then I was occupied with other things. I know I could do better with managing my time, but being in the middle of Hillsong's busiest, most crucial season makes it more difficult. I just want you, the followers of this blog, to keep me in prayer that I can work on my spiritual strength by making time to have with God. I know I'm gonna need it.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment