Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 6: A Bit Late, but Here Now!

I just realized I completely forgot to update this blog last night; oops. Well yesterday was interesting. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go bowling with some alumni peeps, but I got to spend some quality time with my dad. I enjoyed that very much, and I'm happy to know he's taking all next week off so we can spend more time together. Honestly, I've been playing a lot of Kingdom Hearts; I should stop, but it's kind of compelling. It's hard to stop following such a great story. I'm gonna work on that haha

To compensate for not updating the blog yesterday, I want to share my favorite albums of 2009. I recommend you check these albums/artists because they are all spreading the gospel in their own ways.

In alphabetical order:
The Almost - Monster Monster: this album was considered one of the most important albums by Jesusfreakhideout because of the consistent spiritual references and foundation. And considering they're popular in the secular media, that's a really good thing.

Anchor & Braille - Felt: this was one of 2009's unsung hero albums. The side project of Anberlin's Stephen Christian, this album was a great audiobook of poetry; the lyrics are smart and eccentric, the music is soft and soothing, and overall it's just a great album to listen to in your downtime or if you want to relax.

And Then There Were None - Who Speaks For Planet Earth?: this band started out as a metal band, but after singing with Tooth and Nail Records, they decided to take a different direction with their sound. The result is a strong bass pounding, power driven techno club album filled with awesomeness. Pretty much every song is catchy, and the guys really put together a Cd that makes me excited for their next album.

The Ascendicate - To Die As Kings these guys were formally known as the 7 Method, but their style has carried on with their new name. One of the strongest hardcore rock bands I've heard, they give the listener everything you would expect from an average hardcore album, but their lyrics are what set them apart from the rest. Their songs are powerfully spiritual, and that's what really draws me to this CD

B.Reith - Now Is Not Forever: when I found this man of God by accident, I look back and realize it was God ordained for me to listen to B.Reith's tunes. This guy has inspired me in so many ways, I can't even begin to describe it. His music is incredible, his lyrics are smart, catchy, and God-centered, and his faith is ever present throughout this CD. If there was one guy I absolutely recommended giving a shot, it would be B.Reith; chances are you won't be disappointed.

Danyew - Danyew EP/Wake Up EP: So this guy was one of those last minute artists I found in December; and boy did Danyew blow me away. He has a great thing going for him, and I believe he has a great future ahead of him. You should check him out if you like that ambient, synth pop driven Christian rock stuff, he'll be the right choice for you.

David Crowder*Band - Church Music: How can I even begin to describe how I've been impacted by David Crowder? This CD was nothing short of revolutionary; don't let the name deceive you. It's not one of those old school classic worship songs; it's an electro-rock worship CD that's sure to turn heads. David Crowder is, in my opinion, one of the best kind of worship leaders that can really reach out to today's generation.

Deas Vail - Birds & Cages: the first sign in for Mono Vs. Stereo Records, Deas Vail is what I call a beautifully sounding band. They have a great sound that's unique to me; soft, real music that pleases the spirit. I really enjoyed taking this journey from song 1 to the end; if you end up giving them a shot, I hope you'll like them too.

Eleventyseven - Adventures In Eville: This was one of those CDs I was hesitant to listen to. But now that I've listened to it, I can't say I regret it. These guys are awesome; they've taken a stereotypical rock sound and added electro-pop elements with some hip-hop mixed in. Their lyrics are smart and funny, and they have that potential to brighten up your day.

Falling Up - Fangs!: Falling Up is one of those bands I've always enjoyed; this album was a concept one, one with a different sound but still entertaining. They have an experimental rock/ambient sound to them in the likes of Linkin Park, and they definitely a great work in progress.

FAMILY FORCE 5 - Dance or Die With A Vengeance/Christmas Pageant: Ah, Family Force 5. My favorite band. These guys may seem crazy by their looks and crunk rock/club dance music, but inside they are true Christians that are unashamed of who they are in Christ. And look where it's taken them: co-headlining the AP Your with the Maine and 3OH!3, having sold out shows in the U.K. where Family Force 5 CDs aren't even sold, having several magazine photo shoots and interviews throughout America and the U.K., doing a partnership with Skeleanimals and Target with the Keep the Party Alive CD, gaining over 600,000 fans within the past year, AND now doing a special song for the new Alice In Wonderful movie soundtrack. These guys have a bright future ahead of them, so keep an eye for them!

Flyleaf - Memento Mori: Flyleaf's first album got a lot of attention from both Christian and secular markets, so naturally people were anticipating their new CD. What was released was an album that I'm sure would have confused non-believers but would give Christians a smile; even their first song puts it right out there. "Beautiful bride, body of Christ." That takes courage to stand unashamed of your faith in today's society, but Flyleaf does it with excellence. Kudos to Flyleaf for a strong album.

The Fold - Dear Future, Come Get Me: these guys are one of those bands some people will never get to hear, but they are a great band that's going on a big journey in their music career. The one reason hundreds of people have recently heard of them is because of their cover of Miley Cyrus's "Party In the U.S.A.", which has become one of the most popular parodies of the song of the year. Check it out it's awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAowjjHgKks

Future of Forestry - Travel EPs: I found this band through a magazine recommendation, and they have never disappointed me. The Travel EPs were exceptionally amazing, as the songs could just take you to another world. I love their music a lot.

House of Heroes - The End Is Not the End: these guys are just awesome. Period. They've taken a Beatles inspired sound and made a CD worthy of the English legends. I totally recommend listening to House of Heroes whether or not you admire the Beatles.

Jars of Clay - The Long Fall Back To Earth: Jars of Clay is one of the veterans of the Christian music industry. Their sound has grown consistently throughout their career, and this album was no exception. Appraised by many as one of the best albums of the year, I am glad that after 15 years of music, Jars of Clay is still going stronger than ever.

Kutless - It Is Well: Kutless is what you would call another one of those straightforward rock bands, but their second worship project was a great growing step. They took some very classic hymns and made them appealing to the modern generation. A great worship album.

Leeland - Love Is On the Move: Leeland is one of those up and coming worship band that has some of the most powerful songs I've heard. They have inspiring and beautiful words that make you want to worship, and I know there's much more in store for them

Lost Ocean - Could This Be Love?: This newly independent band has created an album that greatly impressed me; their piano pop rock sound is one that may be common, but is strongly presented here.

Manic Drive - Blue: Blue was a remake of their previous album but with 4 new songs; those 4 songs are what made me enjoy the album. It was a fresh re-interpretation of their music, and those songs are just plain awesome!!

Nevertheless - When I'm With You: this 5 song EP was dedicated to the band members's wives, as each song sings of love. It's a cute and pretty collection of music that can make any girl smile. So hint hint guys, if you want to make somewhat of an impression on your lady, these songs can help ;) just don't tell them you got it from me.

Oh, Sleeper - Son of the Morning: this is one of the most controversial bands in the Christian market. Their new CD is one that I know people think twice about before listening to. The cover is enough to make one hesitate: it's half of a pentagram. But what it represents is what makes this CD glorious; the theme is the eternal battle between God and Satan, and the pentagram represents God's triumph over the "Son of the Morning" by cutting of his horns. It's a powerful album with an even more powerful message.

Owl City - Ocean Eyes: Boy, has Adam Young had a great year. God had blessed him with huge, HUGE success on his record label debut. He's become one of the most popular acts in the world, and his album has already reached Gold certification. His poetic synth pop is the best music to brighten your mood.

Phil Wickham - Heaven and Earth: after I listened to this CD, I was very impressed with Phil's talents and music. His words are strong, and his music is awesome. You might consider him just another regular Christian artist, but he's got a great album here.

RED - Innocence & Instinct: this Linkin Park-esque band has developed a fantastic sound with their 2nd album; every song makes me inspired to fight my fleshly whims. The theme is the fight inside, and if you're having problems like that, look up the words. They can be just what you need.

Relient K - Forget And Not Slow Down: Relient K helped me grow up. It's weird to say, but it's true. Many of their songs have helped me build a stronger me; in many parts of my life, there's been a point where a RK lyric or song would come to mind and give me comfort. This album made me very happy because they haven't lost their fire at all. I'm very pleased with Forget And Not Slow Down.

Seabird - Rocks Into Rivers: this piano pop rock band is one that's growing to be a strong act for the future. They've gotten a lot of recognition from secular groups, and they have a great message hidden in this album.

Showbread - The Fear of God: the Raw Rock came in with full force this year, and it was one of the best hard-hitting albums of the years. Go Showbread!!!

Switchfoot - Hello Hurricane: This CD is amazing. AMAZING. Nothing else to say.

So there it is. I'd love to hear your faves, so feel free to tell me your favorite albums of 2009

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment