Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 15: Project Adios; mission accomplished

So today I visited the Rescue Mission one last time. It was a bittersweet time; sweet because of all the support and love I received from everyone, and bitter because I'm gonna miss all the work and outreaches. What really got to me was how I finished:
My dad and I had just left to go have lunch. So right as we were about to cross the street, someone honked their horn at us; to our surprise, it was our good friend Mike Hodges, one of the Rescue Mission faithful that was delivering food to the local hotel and apartment complexes. He pulled over and gave us hugs and asked how we were doing. What's special about Mike is that he gave me an offering of $100; being a guy that lives in the Tenderloin, $100 is a lot of money.But the fact that he found it in his heart to give that much to me broke my heart, and it gave me a bigger appreciation for what my church does: giving out to everyone else, even if they don't receive as much. We asked what he was up to, and it just so happened that the building we stopped in front of was his last stop for delivery. He asked if we wanted to help drop the stuff, and being the energetic helpers we are, we said "sure!". So my last bit of service for my church was doing what I loved doing most with a friend I highly respected. It was just a great example of how God's timing is perfect. I then went to visit my grandma, who was very happy to see me before I left. I also said bye to some of my uncles and cousins. This was a day of closure, but I was happy to know that I have SO many people supporting me. It's a HUGE spiritual family that I love, and I hope I can make them all proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment