Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 196: A Piece of Home (and Hope)

So today was a very vacation-ey day. I loved it! I got woken up by my old flatmate Anders's girlfriend, Caroline (via phone call) to ask if I could help with getting some new students on a bus to Eastgardens. It was fun; I got to get to know some other new students, and I'm pretty excited at how amazing this new intake is. After that I helped Donny move a couple refrigerators to some flats (which made me think of my dad and what he does at work every day. A couple refrigerators doesn't compare to what he does so that I can stay here, though.) During that time, we were invited by my friend Celeste to go to the city so a couple new students could do some shopping. I also made it an opportunity to visit the one legitimate Spanish-style restaurant in Sydney: Mad Mex. Obviously, it's Mexican, but regardless, it was just like the kind of stuff I would get back home: a carne asada burrito with tomatillo, guacamole, and garlic, as well as a bottle of good ol' Jarritos. That was one heavenly lunch. No doubt. We went through several stores, just looking around; all the more proof that I won't EVER buy clothes here. It is just way too expensive; I don't need to pay something like $300 for a jacket. No way. Anyways, I also got to hang out with our Northern Irish visitor, Andrew, who is an absolute genius. We were ghosting people, doing fake parkour, and just cracking jokes like nobody's business. In the evening I was hanging out with some friends from the downstairs level watching Tommy Boy; very funny movie I'll say. Overall, I would say this movie was so good. Can't wait for tomorrow!

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment