Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 149: Red Shield Appeal

So I completely forgot to write about yesterday; oops. Well here I am, and I shall explain what took place.
Street Teams had the opportunity to work alongside the Salvation Army for the Red Shield Appeal, which is basically a community event where we knock on doors and ask for donations for social services. One thing I noticed about the Australian Salvation Army is that they are completely serious about what they do; they love their community, and unlike some Salvos in the States, they work hard to provide. So all of our groups split up to various areas to ask for donation, and we were assigned to a specific street. I was with my friend Andrew, and we went through one of the longest streets on the list and collected a grand total of $13.20 (there was a lot of people that just didn't care... shame..) It's okay though, because what mattered was that the Salvation army could use that money anyway, so it wasn't a total letdown. After our morning on the streets, we returned to the City campus to count what was collected and hand everything over to the SA. We received these certificates of thanks (as well as a free Big Mac voucher for McDonald's) and were free to go. The Towers team decided to have lunch together to give a proper farewell to the girls that came from the Wesley Institute to help us out some months back. They were pretty invaluable to the team, and they will be missed. The afternoon was chilling in the flat, doing random things on my computer and such. In the evening I was hanging out with my roommate Tyson and his friend watching Star Wars, and after that I was invited to hang out with some friends and watch another movie. I can honestly say to go from Star Wars to Singin' In the Rain was quite a turnaround, but it was so much fun; after all, you have to respect the classics. We pretty much just stayed after the movie finished and shared some stories of back home; it's nice to be able to do that. Good friends will listen, and I think we all have some good friendships better established now. That's all for now until later tonight.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment