Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 136: Giving.

Sundays are either great days or days that could have been better if more effort was put into it. Today was a great day. This morning I got to take part in the choir once again; it turns out that the 8 a.m. service didn't have a choir since so many of the college students didn't show up (don't worry, they had the right to either come or not). I chose to serve anyway, because I knew that there was a need for voices AND I love it so much I couldn't possibly pass that down! So we had the 10 and 12 services, and they were both excellent; we got to hear from Robert Morris again, who presented the Sunday morning church with the extravagant giving message. It's amazing how hearing a message a second (or in this case, third) time around can open your ears to things you didn't get the first time around. I really put some thought into this whole art of giving; I know that I can help other people when I see a need, but I realize there are opportunities all around me. I don't have to wait for those opportunities to come; I can just keep my eyes and ears open so God can reveal what He wants me to do. I'm sure God won't lead me to live a life like Robert Morris's, but I can carry the same spirit he did when it comes to giving of yourself and what you have. After that amazing morning, I got to enjoy my afternoon i relaxation mode; aaaaahhhh...... so good. Then it came time for the evening service; I could have not gone, but tonight was different. You see, Australia's Channel 7 News report was going to air a special on Hillsong church, and since we didn't know if it was going to be a positive or negative report, the pastors decided that we should be able to watch it together. So they set up the garage kind of like a theater and was projecting the news on one of the walls; we just watched as the journalist interviewed Brian, Bobbie, and Joel Houston, asking questions on ideas of Hillsong church being a huge money making business or cult. Pastor Brian did such an amazing job at answering the questions without seeming like he was covering something up; there was nothing to hide anyways, so it was cool to see that the news report didn't make a complete negative spin on what he was talking about. They talked an awful lot about the income the church receives, and they made the mistake of saying Brian Houston gets paid by the church. The truth is, he doesn't receive any money from the church; instead, his income is received through his own stuff, like books and videos and such. He pretty much pastors the church for free, and without any personally financial requirements or needs to take an offering for. It's great to see someone that loves the church for the church, not for the check. I wish we could have many more pastors like that; I mean, I know not every pastor can make as many resources to sell, but rather in terms of just having a total heart for the church itself. I know a couple good leaders like that, and I hope to join them in being part of a church because I love the church. The only other thing I did was go to my friend Andrew's place to let he and Donny borrow my sustain pedal AND give some musician's input on the song they're putting together; apparently, next semester, I'm going to have a class where I have to make a song, including the lyrics and music, to present as an assignment. Can't wait for that one!!

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment