Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 137: Asleep On A Rock

Today I set out to write out an idea I've had for a while. I think around a week ago I posted on Twitter my feeling about sleeping in: "Sleeping in rocks." I said it because it's awesome to be able to sleep in since I rarely get that opportunity. Afterwards, one my fellow college students that follows me on Twitter asked "Why did you sleep on rocks; doesn't that hurt?" For some reason that brought my thoughts straight to a message that Priscilla Shirer gave during Colour conference about Jacob receiving a promise from God in a dream. There came the idea of a song reflecting on Jacob's experience in that certain place which would be called Bethel. I would like to share what was eventually (but not completely) penned from this Scripture:

I set out for a land of destiny
Far from where my family lived
When I reached a certain point
The sun began to descend
As the night consumed the sky
I found a spot to rest
But little did I know

That surely You would be in this place
Filling my dreams with Heaven's embrace
And as I lay my head on a rock
The Rock of Ages will reveal His face
And with the multitude of angels
Surrounding Your glory with song
Surely You'll be in this place
And I won't know at all

In my sleep I see a path that touches Heaven
The heavenly host, they climb up and down
And up above, high in the distance
There You stand and say,
"I am the Lord, God of your fathers
And I am with you wherever you go
And I'm not going anywhere."

Surely I'll be in this place
Filling your dreams with My sovereign embrace
And as you rest your head on a rock
Your spirit will rest on Me
And with the multitude of angels
Surrounding Me with song
Surely I'll be in this place
And you won't be aware at all

Early in the morning I awake
In fear of what I saw
How awesome is this place
The house of God, the gates of Heaven
He shall be my God
If God will keep this promise
Now I know without a doubt

That surely You were in this place
You filled my dreams with Heaven's embrace
The rock on which my head rested on
Will be the sign of Your house
And as the multitude of angels
Surrounded Your glory with song
Surely You're in this place
And I didn't know at all.

I might make changes, but this is pretty much what the song will say. I feel like today was an exceptionally productive day. I got a lot of my assessment done, I almost completely finished one of the final 2 songs for Here and Alive, and I wrote this new one. God, thanks be to You for making this day worth living; even if it was almost completely inside the house.

God bless,
Steven

P.S.: Pray Until Something Happens. That quote has stuck with me ever since I received the Gold Medal of Achievement back in 2003, and now I am in the process of making a song inspired by it. Here we go..

No comments:

Post a Comment