Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 139: My Purpose and His

So today was literally a break day; probably the only legit one of the entire week and a half to be honest. Unfortunately, I didn't get to work on my assessment because I let Anders's girlfriend, Caroline, use my Powerbook to work on her assessment; apparently pastoral students have much more difficult ones to do than worship students.. so I spent the day getting outside for more than 5 minutes, chatting on and off with Hannah throughout the afternoon, and serving at Powerhouse. I have to say, it's so much more fun when I'm serving at Powerhouse than when I'm attending. I get more out of it; not to say it isn't good or anything, just that I end up pretty much alone when I attend. With serving, I have people to interact with; people that I get closer to because we work together every week. I got to some extra stuff tonight; I normally come early to help set up, but this time I was asked if I could stick around afterwards to be part of the packdown team. So sure enough, having a thrill for service, I said yes. I helped cleaned up the auditorium by stacking and packing chairs, as well as manning the Ghostbusters style vacuum to make the floors (almost) spotless. By the time I finished, my clock said 10:45; WOW! This packdown team works well into the night to make sure the house of God is nice and clean; that means excellence to me. I admire that these people stay behind every Wednesday to clean up; the best kind of serving is the kind no one sees.
Today I randomly thought of a phrase that caught my attention: I was Jesus' purpose for living and dying.
I had to really dwell on this thought to get the full picture: I've spent a lot of time in my life trying to figure out what my purpose is. I still haven't gotten it, but I've always wondered what's beyond the years I can see. Then I started thinking about Jesus, and what He did. He was well aware of what He had to do for us. He knew it all, that smartypants (I'm kidding, of course. It's technically smartyrobe). It was me; the reason He came to Earth, stayed here, died on the cross, and rose again was for me. Regardless of what happened, I was His purpose for sacrificing Himself; it gives me a greater sense of optimism and a peace in my heart. It made me realize that I don't have to worry about the future; He died so that I could live. That's pure excellence; the kind of excellence I want to get close to.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment