Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 340: An Advent Distraction For Distractions

"A teenage girl and her soon to be
A simple trip far as they could see
The sky was clear and the hour serene
But did they know what the night would bring
Lonely hearts strewn across the land
They'd been waiting long for a healing hand
My heart was there and it felt the chill
When Love came down and the earth stood still

Shepherds stood under starry skies
Tasting grace that would change their lives
Angels trembled and the demons did too
For they knew very well what pure grace would do
The hope of the world in a baby boy
Remember him well like I was there that night
My heart was there and it felt the chill
When Love came down and the earth stood still"


When I first heard these lyrics to the song The Earth Stood Still by Future of Forestry, I was captivated by what Eric Owyoung was trying to express. For centuries, people have celebrated Christmas, but it seems like people have forgotten why this momentous holiday is even celebrated. Today, we live in a world where society is trying to remove the CHRIST from Christmas, and as much as I dislike that, there isn't much I could do about it. Tonight, I had the sincere privilege of being part of something that this world needs (but in a symbolic sense): the Future of Forestry Light Up the City Christmas concert. What this tour represents is to re-establish what Christmas is truly about, and to turn it into a form of worship; a "distraction from modern day holiday distractions". Eric spoke on how we stress over all the regular things from the holiday season: gifts, decorations, vacations, etc. It's so easy for us to get caught up in the material things that we can forget the reason this holiday exists. That's why I loved this concert so much; not only was it one of my all time favorite and most influential bands of my life, it was also a sort of wake up call. I felt God tugging at my heart saying, "Son, remember what I did for you. Remember the One who came to seek and save that which was lost. Remember the day Love himself came to earth to be the Savior of the world. Remember..." Well, I sure ain't gonna forget now! I got to take my dad along for this experience, and there's no one else I would have wanted to share it with (other than my mom and sister, who didn't want to go. Mom and Mandy, I forgive you). Plus, I got to meet the genius man of God himself, Eric Owyoung; just to be around him, you could sense God's anointing. I don't know if you listen to Future of Forestry, but these guys got it. The message of hope to the world? They got it. The passion to see people get saved? They got it. The skill to draw attention and tell others about Love? They got it. This is why I look up to them so much; they don't need spotlights or mass attention. All they need is a small, intimate setting where they can lead the audience to a place of worship. That's the kind of legacy I want to leave behind. That's the kind of fire I want to burn. That's the kind of servanthood I'm working towards. This is Love.

God bless,
Steven

P.S. do me a favor and check out Kye Kye; they were the opening band for Future of Forestry, and they impressed me heaps. They've got the same passion, so I'll be spreading the word; if you like them, you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment