Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 338: Paths

Tonight, I opened up my Bible to read about wisdom, 'cause wisdom is something I've been asking God for more of. I don't necessarily want it to the degree King Solomon did, but anything close to that would be great; just saying. Yesterday, I randomly opened my Bible to Proverbs 2, which talks on the benefits of wisdom. It's a profound passage, and it had all kinds of words I needed to hear; it's amazing that this book can be read over and over again, and you can get something different every time you read it. Only a one, true God could come up with a book this intricately designed, right? Well today I decided to read the very next chapter, where it talks about how wisdom results in general well being. Even from the first couple verses, I was drawn in: "My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commandments in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity." I stopped right there and just reflected on that. My son is a personal note for me; I like that He addresses me in this book that's addressed so many others for centuries, yet I can still make it personal. The next part was great too; I mean, how could I forget the past ten months of teaching I received with amazing impact?? I've never heard God's voice and direction so clear before this year, and now it's up to me to keep it all in my heart. I'm sure it will be difficult, but the best part is I don't have to remember it by myself, thanks to a big spiritual family beside me and around the world.
"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and humankind." I liked these too, mainly because of what I got from it. I've received a lot of love my entire life, from many people, different places, and under many different circumstances. And faithfulness? Well, there's only One that's been consistent with that (Selah). I always wondered why it said specifically to bind it around my neck; but I think I got it just now. Is it just me, or is the neck one of those things that you just don't put away? If I put it in my hand, I could let it go at some point. If I placed it over my head, in my pocket, etc... there's a possibility that it could get lost there as well. But the neck? That's a strategic spot. The only time I think you could lose something around your neck would be if you removed it yourself. Then I think about favor. That's something I figure we all seek. We want to be recognized and respected. We want our names to be familiar in the world. I've dreamed of being known for something, but this year showed me that my life isn't about my name being made known. In reality, it's His name that should be known because of mine. When you hear names like Billy Graham, C.S. Lewis, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, D.L. Moody, and many others, people think of them as influential people of the faith. I know I'm not called to be known for the kind of work they did, but whatever I'm called to will be my platform to proclaim His name.
Then there's the most familiar verses in this chapter: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." When I read it this time, I got it. After years of reading and quoting these verses, I got it. This is God's desire: that we would rely on Him to live, and not try and live on our own. I'm sure you're thinking "well yeah Steven, that's the point!" and I agree; but I just never really took it to heart until now.

Lord, I choose to trust You. I know I spent many years trying to figure things out on my own, even when I knew You were available to me at every moment; but now, I stop that and I look to You. This is a new surrender. This is a turnaround. This is change, and I pray that my heart holds true to everything You bring along the path. Amen.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment