Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 371: A Half Family

So as you would notice, there's a lot of posts today; this is because due to a lack of internet access in Disneyland, I couldn't update it. The last several posts were a culmination of what I could remember without being way too vague. But now that I have caught up with the system, I can tell you about what REALLY happened today. Let's begin, shall we?

I've had little experience with family reunions. When they happen, it can be either straight up awkward or full on fantastic; it's a shame that with my real relatives, most of the time it's awkward. The main reason for that is my Spanish; it's not exactly up to par with every other Hispanic in the Bay Area, but I am doing the best with what I've got. It's weird how being in Australia helped improve my Spanish, considering I've been surrounded by Spanish speaking people my whole life; THAT'S awkward.... anyways, back to my point. Today was indeed a reunion, but with someone I consider family, even though they're not. Sure, we share the last name, but we're not actually related (it just so happened that we would share the Gomez title I guess). I was invited to visit my "half sister" Adriana's youth group, called the Unit. I commandeered my mom's car for the evening and headed to san Carlos (I brought along Family Force 5 to keep me company and lighten up the mood for the trip; perfect choice). This youth group is definitely one of the most solid I've seen in a while; I was glad that I got the chance to check it out. Another super big highlight was reuniting with my mini me from the New J era of my life, Cristian. We both didn't recognize each other at first; for me it was due to his new haircut, and for him it was my new hair style (leave it to the hair to confuse us.... man.... "I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth [just whip it]..") Once he recognized me, he gave me a big hug; I have missed his hugs. He was just like my little brother, and to this day I see him the same; hopefully I can hang out him sometime soon. Oh, and it was also great to see their mom too; looking back at how much our families used to hang out, it's amazing how quickly time flies by. Worship was cool, and the message was spot on; it was on activating your anointing (study David's life pre-Bathsheba, and you'll learn how). Afterwards, we went out to chill, and it was great to catch up on things with Adri. I'm strongly considering visiting next Thursday, but we'll see for sure. Today, a success? I think so.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment