Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 76: Getting Ready to "Be the Change"

So today was the day before the Be the Change weekend begins. Normally, every college student would go out to the Hills campus to help run Colour Conference 2, but this year the leaders decided to try out something never done before. First year students are given the responsibility of being the labrats to a 3-day Be the Change weekend, leading up to Servolution next week. Can't wait to get started.

This morning started out with a chapel. Worship and prayer was just awesome. We also got to congratulate those students that were observed by Hillsong "spies" during conference 1 to be nominated for the Volunteer of the Day awards. Of course, everyone was deserving of these awards because of all the hard work we put forth together as volunteers to make the conference a breeze for the ladies; but the leadership wanted to recognize specific people. The first real friend I made here, fellow Venue Safety partner Aaron Creasy from Oregon, was nominated for his service as part of the Venue Safety team. It's a tough job, so I'm glad one of us got recognized for all the standing in front of doors we did. Aaron totally deserved the nomination; he was such a great guy to work with. All the nominees and winners received free movie tickets, which is pretty cool I'd say. After more worship and prayer, we were dismissed for the day. Jorge and Anders, the incredible Norwegian men of God, invited me to join them in going to the beach; figuring that would be a nice break from staying in the apartment, I agreed. We went to Maroubra, which was the very first beach I ever visited here in Australia 4 years ago; nice memories came back into my head as I recalled doing street ministry in the winter. Walking along the water was refreshing; I didn't want to surf or boogieboard so I just decided to take a walk (I know, very generic thing to do, but it was cool. So now I can honestly say I like long walks on the beach) After that, I went with Anders to help set up for the Powerhouse guys night. We had bacon & egg rolls, Modern Warfare 2, college guys serving as baristas making coffee/mochas/hot chocolates, playing soccer and ping pong, and watching UFC 19 on DVD (that made me really miss my dad...) but it was a great time; I even got to take the extra bacon home! So now we can have bacon with the usual cereal and crepes for a hearty breakfast for the next few days, or as the Aussies call it, brekke (pronounced brecky). I need me some sleep, because tomorrow is going to be a long day. But it's going to be a good day too.

God bless,
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment