Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine

Valentine's Day. Oh boy. You know, this particular time of the year hasn't really been a big deal for me, in like EVER. I can only think of two times I've actually done something to celebrate this day. First time was in 8th grade, where I came up with the idea of getting a little something for every person in my class, because they weren't just classmate but family. Since I was a nerd of a lower caliber back then,I kept it nice and simple: valentines fashioned after the Incredibles (still one of my favorite movies of all time); it was a big deal for me to do that, and I'm sure it was appreciated by my peers. The other time was some years ago when I was talking to a girl and things were going well; to be honest I'm not even sure what I did, but obviously it was a bigger deal the second time around. Other than that, this day's never carried any level of significance to me. The past three years of being in college, I got to be an eyewitness to the realization of the phrase "Love is in the air." I cannot tell you how many relationship notifications I've seen, let alone the ones that evolved into engagement notification, marriage notifications, and even offspring notifications! I lost count a few months ago, but let's face it: when you're in a healthy, positive, and God-filled environment like a Bible college, it's bound to happen to people every now and then (much more common now, apparently). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a day where two people that genuinely care for each other can go above the standard to express their love and appreciation for their significant other, but when you're in a position like mine where you just don't have a reason to celebrate it, the chances of you spending your Valentine's Day with a cheesecake in one hand and in the other a remote pointing to a screen playing your favorite romantic dramadies can get pretty up there (In case you wanted to know what's on my movie list it's Definitely, Maybe, Wall-E, Up, Just Friends, and The Avengers [Marvel Studio's way of saying they love me, don't hate] #themoreyouknow). The point I'm trying to make is that even though I don't necessarily have someone overly special to celebrate Valentine's Day with, I can show love and appreciation for the people that are in my life. My family's top of the list; I wouldn't be nearly this awesome if it wasn't for them. Friends I've made that have become family, because they have shown me the true value of friendship (they would be among my first picks if I ever needed to form a Fellowship of the Ring, a superhero all-star team, or a zombie apocalypse resistance group). And of course, the true All Father. I'm glad to have a heavenly dad looking out for me as I try to figure out this thing called life; I've managed to go this far without a particular companion, but I'm certainly not in a rush to find one. For this time, He is enough to give me what I need. So for all you people in my life that might not have a significant other to share in the joy of this extremely red and pink, heart-shaped holiday, don't worry because life is good regardless of our relationship statuses. And for those in my life who do have boyfriends/girlfriends, fiancees, husbands/wives: just keep pressing on. Enjoy what you've got, and trust in the love you have; it's powerful stuff.
P.S. Because I'm sure there's at least one person curious about it, I am actually interested in someone. That's all you get for now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment