Friday, December 21, 2012

Now What?

It's been just over 24 hours since I've returned to the Golden State; 3 years on the other side of the world certainly has done me good, but home is home and I can honestly say it's been a blast. I've spent most of the past 48 hours looking back and reminiscing at everything that was; it was a lot to go through, but everything was worth going through. The plane ride was where I really got the sense of what was happening; the last few weeks leading up to my departure from Sydney I didn't have a particular emotional reaction to the fact that this season was over and that I was going home in a matter of days. I remained pretty relaxed about it the whole time, and it wasn't until I was on a plane over the Pacific that I figured out why I was so relaxed. Most people would think that going into the next season of your life would have lots of varied emotions and thoughts attached to it all, but I found myself in a position where there actually was no fear or doubt (I believe Australian culture would describe it as "no worries"). Over time I developed a sense of confidence in the decision I made, and despite all my incredible friends joking around about me staying or straight up telling me not to leave, I remained in my confidence. It had nothing to do with them, but it was more internal for me because I just felt it in my heart that I made the right decision. I didn't know exactly what would happen or what I would do, but I knew that God was in control, and that worry had no place in my life at this point. Before I knew it, I could see the city lights of Oakland, California while the plane was making it's descent; I took this time to just thank Him for everything in my journey, and I prayed for my next season. If there is one thing I'm aware of, it's that God will be the constant, consistent One in my life; doesn't matter if I'm in Sydney, San Francisco, Toronto, Oslo, or Durban because my God is right there with me, slowly unveiling the plan for my life. Then we get to the moment I saw my parents from a distance, watching the gate to see their son walking in their direction; sharing that classic parent-child embrace made the 20 hour trip worth it. These two believed in me, supported me regardless of how good or bad the situation over here was; the joy in their faces made me get emotional for the first time since I left Sydney. The car ride back consisted of me sharing how I felt being back and my parents sharing how things are here; I was just glad to be with them again. Today it was all about family; I feel like this will end up being what my week looks like, and I'm more than fine with that. There's a genuine peace in this house, the Psalm 65:11 House (I'll probably make a whole post about it). All this to say, I'm not worried for this next season. At all. There's lots to discover and explore, and I just want to jump right in and get amongst it. As JT Daly sings, "a better life is waiting." As Brian Houston says, "the best is yet to come." As the Word says, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." I can live on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment